Monday, April 20, 2009

AWOL: Absent Working On-Line

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been posting a whole lot lately. Sure, I have put up pictures and a couple of sentences, but not too much more than that. The truth is that I have been incredibly busy this past month.

You may remember that a few months ago I posted about the fact that I am losing my part-time librarian job at the end of this month. Ever since that post I have been looking for other ways to help out with the family finances. I was really sad lose my job, and afraid I wouldn't be able to find anything else to make money. Thankfully it turns out I was wrong!

I found a temporary way to earn a bit of extra cash by watching a neighbor's nine-year-old son in the mornings and taking him to school. My neighbor offered me the job because she heard about me losing my job, and her son wasn't really enjoying going to daycare in the morning before school. Of course this job ends when school lets out, but it has helped out and my boys have been enjoying having someone come over and play in the mornings.

I also managed to land a part-time, work at home job that is completely online. I don't have to answer calls, I get paid for the time I put in, and I didn't have to pay anything to get the job! It was a bit of a miracle that I found this job. The only downside is that I only have a contract for six months, but hopefully they will renew my contract then.

So what is this job, you ask?! Basically I evaluate the results of search engine queries. There are some similar job ad postings of what I do posted at Lionbridge and Leapforce in case you are interested. I believe both of these companies are still hiring. The only downside is that you have submit your resume/job history and pass the initial screening, and then they invite you to take a two part test. The test is pretty long and intense, but if you pass then you get the job and get reimbursed for taking the test.

So not only have I been finishing up my job at the library this month, I have also been watching my neighbor's son in the morning and putting in as much time into my online job as I can. I want to get familiar with my online job and get good at it, so they want to keep me when my six months is up.

So there you have it... no I'm not pregnant, we're not moving, and no one is dreadfully sick. I have just been very busy taking care of my little boys and working as much as I can while I have the chance.

14 comments:

  1. That's AWESOME news!!! Very exciting! You must be so relieved. See? I told you you'd find something! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you found something.

    I love working from home. I can make a little extra money while my son naps.

    Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. busy is a good thing... glad you found something to do and working from home is always an added bonus

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for your new job opportunities! What a blessing.

    I actually didn't think anything of your previous posts because alot of people post pictures and a few sentences, so didn't think anything about it.

    However, after reading your first few sentences on my dashboard I did think you were going to tell us you were expecting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great that you found something to do that will help you stay home. I can't wait to hear how it all goes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds terrific! I'm glad to see that things are rolling along and others are falling into place. Good luck with your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your new WAH job. It's so hard to find a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is really cool! good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, glad you have found some options!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I didn't know about your job. I'm so glad that you were able to find something to fill in the gaps. That's wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great thing for you and your family. I'm glad it all came together well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well we surely miss you around here but I'm glad to hear things are going good for you.

    Good luck with your new job!
    Sounds interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. "no, I'm not pregnant..." ;)

    Leave it to you to find a cool on-line job! Way to go! Glad things are working out in positive ways for your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel you on the being super busy. I keep debating if I should take a break from blogging because I have so much on my plate right now but.........

    Congrats on finding a new job. I wanted to go back to work once my youngest entered Middle school but now the way the economy is I'm pretty sure that no one is going to need a college educated stay at home mom that hasn't worked in 13 years!!

    ReplyDelete