Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Easy Adorable Hairclips

Have you seen little girls running around with adorable hair clips that match their clothes? You wonder where their mommies bought those cute clips... then you search and find some online and they cost anywhere from $4 to $7 or more.

I don't even have any little girls (yet!), but I thought the clips were so cute I decided to make some for my nieces for Christmas. They were actually pretty easy and turned out super-cute!

Aren't these hair clips great?!


One of my friends asked me how I made the clips, so I went to her house and we did a little workshop this weekend. I'm telling you anyone can make clips like these. Here are the detailed instructions if you are interested.

Materials Needed
:

Ribbon
Buttons, flowers, and any other embellishments you like
Aleenes Tacky Glue
Hot glue gun
Metal double prong clips (I got a box of 100 at Sally Beauty Supply for about 5 bucks)








Instructions:


First cut your ribbon. Start with the ribbon in the clip and wrap it around the top, over the prongs and around to the back side. You want the clip to look like this after you glue it:

Use a lighter to burn the edges of the ribbon so it won't fray.

Next use the Aleene's Tacky glue to attach the ribbon to the clip. Start on the inside of the clip and work your way around. (You could use hot glue for this step if you are really talented. I found that I could not get the ribbon into place before the hot glue dried. Aleene's glue takes a little while to dry, but the ribbon stays put!)


You can use your extra clips to hold the ribbon in place while the glue dries. I usually put ribbon on all the clips that I plan to do at the same time. Then when you finish with the last one, the first clip you did is usually dry.



Now comes the creative part! Use hot glue to attach ribbons, flowers and anything else you would like to make your clips super cute. It is also super simple to make a bow with extra ribbon. Think out of the box and have fun!


You will be amazed at how quickly you get the hang of it and can make your own adorable hair bows... for a lot less money!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I will have to try this for my little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is one of the MANY reasons I feel a little sad I don't have a girl. Granted, whenever I feel too sad about it I just remember what a hormonal wreck I was in my teens, and all of a sudden I feel better about being a mom of boys. Still, the hairclips and such...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reminder of metal double prong clips. Every other clip breaks apart or falls out of my girls hair.

    The clips you made are adorable.

    ReplyDelete