Wednesday, December 14, 2011

More Christmas Craftiness:
Preschool Handprint Santas & Snowmen Ornaments

This week it is my turn to teach our cooperative preschool. Of course the topic is Christmas, since this is our last week of the year. At the end of the week I get to focus on baby Jesus and the nativity, but our lesson for today was about Santa.

So first we used our hands to make some cute hand print Santas.


I painted the thumb and lower portion of their hand red to make the Santa hat, then I painted the rest white. I added the flesh colored paint and faces after the hand prints had dried. Then we finished it off with a pom-pom. I think they are adorable! Even my Kindergartener came home and wanted to make one, so we did! Maybe I should take some online art classes to give me inspiration for more fun projects I can do with the kids!

As a nice gift for the parents, we also made hand print snowman ornaments. I painted the kids' hands white and then had them squeeze a round ball ornament in their hand. Since our kids are only three, that is where their involvement ended. Later in the day I added faces, hats, arms and buttons to the snowmen and I think they turned out to be absolutely adorable!


I also wanted to do a "Baby's First Christmas" ornament for my little girl. Can I just tell you how hard it is to paint a baby's hand and try to get that onto an ornament?


I ended up wiping off the ornament a number of times. When I finally got a good handprint, I filled it in with a little extra paint. Then I added some ribbon. I think it turned out cute. I am going to use my new Silhouette Cameo to cut some vinyl to put Aubrey's name and date on the back of the ornament. Can you believe how small her hand is in comparison to her brothers?

So that is what we have been up to so far this week. How about you?

5 Minutes for Mombabybabylemon
Better in BulkLive and Love...Out Loudand then, she {snapped}NapTime MomTog

Linked up to Wordful Wednesday, Wordish Wednesday, and Wordless Wednesdays all over.

5 comments:

  1. cute projects. I love the snowmen ornaments

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute cute!! I remember how hard a print was with newborns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all so cute! I am going to have to try these out with my boys!
    Happy WW
    http://randomramblingsonlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the snowman idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, those ornaments are ADORABLE! Love those!

    ReplyDelete