Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Second Time Around

Have you ever noticed that you do things differently with your second child than you did with your first?

I don't just mean that you are better at changing diapers or whatnot. Of course you have more experience and therefore are better at some things this time around. What I am talking about is how you don't do things that you did with your first child because you have to take your first into consideration... ok, that didn't make much sense. Let me 'splain.

When Jonah was little and we were working on getting him to sleep through the night there were a couple of times that we had to let him cry it out so that he would go back to sleep and learn to sleep through the night. Right now his little brother Eli sleeps through the night most of the time by himself. However occasionally he will wake up early. Like last night he woke up just before 5 a.m. But of course I couldn't wait and let him cry about it because that would wake up Jonah.

It's not really a big deal because Eli does sleep through the night most of the time. But it makes me wonder about other things that will make growing up a different experience for my two boys simply because of the order that they were born. I love both my boys and I hope to be able to be fair to them, but sometimes it isn't always possible. Know what I mean?

1 comment:

  1. I do know what you mean. But you have to take each situation as they come and do the best you can. Being fair is also pretty subjective. Fair to who? We each have our own perspective and fair to one person may not be fair to another person. So good luck with those decisions.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete