Saturday, June 14, 2008

Repeat after me...

My just barely two-year-old has quite a grasp on language. He is already speaking in full sentences and is coming up with his own phrases, which I think is really quite remarkable. The other day we were reading together and out of the blue he said "Oh wow! Look at that!" Isn't that funny?

There is one thing that has been driving me crazy though... he will keep repeating a word or phrase until you repeat back what he has said. I don't know if he doesn't think we are listening, or if he just needs the validation. I know repetition is how kids learn new words and phrases... but he will repeat things I know he already knows how to say. I think he is just trying to make sure we are listening. The question is, how do I get him to stop? I can't always instantly stop what I am doing or interrupt my present conversation to tell him "yes, Jonah" or repeat what he said.

It's not that I'm not interested in what he has to say. I want him to feel important and loved, but I also need him to know that mommy can't always pay close attention to him, and he can't just keep repeating himself until I do.

Any ideas on what I should do?

No comments:

Post a Comment