Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Adventures in Parenting- the Big Boy Bed

So last week after our crib climbing incident we knew we had to get a big boy bed for little Eli. Instead of getting a toddler bed, we move right up into the big leagues and get our kids a twin bed. I figure they might as well get used to it now, and it saves me money in the end, right?

We already had a bed frame, since we bought a bunk bed frame when Jonah got his big boy bed. So all we had to do was go get a mattress and get everything put together.

Getting the mattress was an adventure, since we don't own a pickup truck. Good thing Honey Daddy is good with ropes! Yep... that was us you saw driving down the street with a mattress tied to the roof of our car!

(and No, Eli didn't ride home on the top of the car!)

Honey Daddy spent the better part of an entire evening getting the beds all put together. He actually took apart Jonah's bed and put it in Eli's room, since that is the top bunk frame and it already has a railing. Then he put the bottom bunk frame together in Jonah's room.

I'm glad Honey Daddy's thinking ahead because when the boys share a room later on, all we will have to do is move Eli's bed and put it on top of Jonah's bed. Of course then they will end up switching beds again... but whatever!

Eli thought his new bed was pretty cool! He loved the ladder that Daddy made him.

He actually adapted to his big boy bed beautifully. I guess even though 19 months old seems a bit young to me, Eli was ready for it. I don't know if I was really ready for it though... he still looks so little when he is sleeping on that big bed.


They grow up too fast, don't they?

24 comments:

  1. So smart to use that top portion of the bunk bed with the rail. Looks like he loves his bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so adorable!

    I love the photo of him on the car!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute!! We were kinda mean when our 2nd moved into the big bed. We went from crib to bottom of a bunk bed (no railing!) without any other transition. Luckily, she only fell out a few times.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! He looks so cute in his big boy bed. I keep my little ones in their crib until I think they are going to try and climb out. Is that bad? LOL It postpones the midnight escapes a little longer. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww!! What a big boy sleeping in his own bed!! I have to say that that is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, definitely a wise move on your part to move them straight to a big boy bed... :)

    They do look so tiny in a big bed after we get used to seeing them in their cribs, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both kids were in twin beds before they were 2. It's worked out great for us. Brilliant idea with the bunk beds! May you have many sleepy nights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honey Mommy, you just won the family four-pack to the Barnyard Boo at Thanksgiving Point!
    I emailed you so be sure to reply to it to redeem your prize. You and your family will have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He looks so cute all snuggled in there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. awww, so sweet! He did take to it right away, huh? Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. #3 is coming up on 22 months and I'm sure the great crib escape will be upon us shortly (#2 busted out @ 18 months!). I'm hoping he gives me until he is 2 so I have time to hide the valuables. #2 used to get outta his big boy bed and "redecorate" his room. I've learned my lesson and #3 will be sleeping soundly in an empty room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. awww, I love it. I'm hoping to move Tristan to his toddler bed here in the next few months (again). :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. so sweet, and what a great idea using the top bunk! My daughter started climbing out around 18 months-she wouldn't have anything to do with a big girl bed (still doesn't want one at 30 months, but I think that has more to do with the new baby) so we went with a crib tent. They certainly do grow up SO fast!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love that first picture. hilarious! the last picture is precious. congrats to Eli and his new bed. happy WW and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too cute... I bet he was proud of himself to be in a big boy bed, huh??

    ReplyDelete
  16. glad he did well. very smart to use the bunk bed in two parts now and then together later

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute, and I agree on the great idea on using the top portion.

    I can imagine how little he looks (again) in that big 'ol bed. Bittersweet, I'm sure.

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I am here to tell you that they grow up extremely fast!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is sad when you have to dismantle that crib, especially when you don't know if you will be setting it back up for possible siblings...

    ReplyDelete
  20. They do, they grow up way too fast. I like the way you did that bed!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have great taste in names... My son is named Eli too!!
    We are just thinking about switching our 20 month old into the big bed. I'm not ready! Our kiddos share a room and I'm scared they will just play all night long...
    Found you on Wordful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete